Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Global Warming or Safety Warning

Today it took me 3.5 hours to drive 70 miles to my venue. This got me thinking about pollution. Now, I'm not normally this ecologically minded, but today it seemed like such a waste. It usually takes me 2 hours to do this trip, so assuming a clear run home, I was driving for 5.5 hours for a 3 hour meeting. There has to be a better way. I suppose it's not just the environmental cost that has got me thinking, the reason for the delay was a very serious accident. There is going to be a family somewhere who has just had their festive season shaken apart at the seams.

This thought has plagued me more and more recently. I drive around 40,000 miles a year. Each time I venture off on a trip, there is a delay somewhere for an accident. Who would know if I had an accident, there is nobody at home who would worry if I was late. My mobile has loads of numbers in it but nobody who would be identified as the person who would need to be contacted. Am I just being morbid?

People drive as though their lives will end if they do not get somewhere quicker than the rest. There is a complete lack of consideration, people just barge others out of the way and complain when others do the same to them. Then they wonder how these terrible accidents happen, but do we not all have a part to play? These people that are in their way are somebody's brother or mother or father or lover. Should we not drive as though these other road users are the people closest to us in our lives? Would that reduce the death toll? Yes some people drive badly, but some people cook badly, if a friend offered us a badly cooked meal but it was the best they could do would we swear and shake our fists at them? Or just smile to ourselves and accommodate them?

So to the family today who have lost a loved one, I send my heartfelt condolences, and pray that my mother will not receive that same call from a policeman one day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Extremely well put and thought provoking hon. I too have the same fears, although on occasion my fears are overly irrational. My dad use to be an insurance assessor and he assessed cars that had been in fatal accidents and interviewed surviving victims. I have grown up to have a morbid fear of driving and loved ones dying through accidents. The very first "boy" who wanted me to drive 500 metres down the road to the shop with him got photographs from my father of cars that had been in accidents and a very stern lecture on driving safely. I was SO embarrassed at age 16. Since that time I am extremely conscious and aware of driving, other drivers and "road rage". Yes we have all been there and experienced the frustration and almost compelling urge to ram another driver on the road for being idiotic....but what is the point? 30 seconds of over taking, swearing, frustration gets us no where but 10 seconds in front and perhaps closer to death than we can imagine.

Thank you for your post, I have no answers, but I certainly appreciate your concerns. I pray also that my mother, father, son and husband never have to have a policeman on their doorstep and my heart goes out to the people that have been so unfortunate to have that experience.

Sweet hugs and smooches Bridget.

TAKE CARE

Love rosebud

xxxx

The Real Bridget Jones said...

Hi Rosebud, your response made me smile. My Dad was exactly the same. The interrogations, the lectures.... I rarely took any friends home!!

Come to think of it I still don't . My mam is doing the traditional - so what's his name? Where does he work? Has he got family? When was he divorced? routine about Coffee Man. For all she knows I have had 1 coffee and 1 meal with him and already he is getting invites for Xmas!
I love them to bits though!

Hugs and kisses
Bridget