Sunday, January 28, 2007

An early night

I ended Friday with an early night and felt a little better yesterday. Coffee Man wanted to go shopping (as it was his birthday it was his prerogative!) so we went into town and he virtually renewed his wardrobe.

Last night we had a couple of friends over for a Chinese and I made his birthday cake. His sister and his best 'girl' friend were there and I had forgotten that she is a celebrated cake maker, and I had literally just thrown a cake together, from memory and without the tools I have in my own kitchen, (including proper cake tins!!) and I haven't mastered his oven yet, it is completely different to mine. It rose though and although possibly a little firmer than I would have liked, it was still moist inside and lemony like it was supposed to be ( a lemon drizzle cake as requested) He had joked with his sister earlier that he didn't have a birthday cake so I did it not as a joke but to keep him happy, can't have a birthday boy without a birthday cake after all.

I know his friend was joking when she said 'nobody go swimming' but then she proceeded to tell all assembled about the wedding cake she was making for a colleague and how fabulous it was going to be. I felt like a complete and utter incompetent prat.

The whole evening was spent with her regaling us with her exciting life and famous friends, he was hanging on her every word, at least that's how it felt to me. She too is studying for a qualification but obviously it is a much more impressive one than mine that will let her do even more exciting things, his sister asked me about my horse so she told us about her stable full of horses. I really feel inadequate today.

I don't know if it is just the pressure or work, study, impending exams and a new man in my life that is making me feel so nervous and low. She has repeatedly told me she has no interest in him they are just mates so why do I feel so inferior?

Anyway, I came home this morning and went to the gym, did some study and he is coming over for dinner soon. Hopefully I won't poison him as it's bound to not be up to her standards after all.

No comments: