Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What the hell happened there?????

Ok, an odd post from me but it's been a funny, odd, nice day. there are a couple of things that are needed to explain it though and put it into context.

I have always been a sucker for tall (6'4"ish), blond men. Blue eyed, broad shouldered. Good physique, no face furniture. Within 5 years or so of me in age. I am very predictable and rarely look twice at any other. If I do, then it is tall dark and handsome!!

I wasn't looking forward to the day, I was acting as exec support for a regional manager. Sitting there, smiling, reinforcing what he was saying to his team. I knew I had a 200 mile journey after this long meeting and I knew that it would be my second trip round rush hour London. (It took me 2.5 hours just to get there and then a further 4 to my hotel!)

Now, to just set the scene, my work persona is a million miles to my off duty. I have always worked in a man's world, usually the only woman. I am seen as tough, in control, decisive, authoritative, possibly even authoritarian, I am 100% confident when I speak they shut up and listen, I am (I believe) well respected. If I go into one of the 300 sites and say "please change that" it gets changed. I'm not saying this to puff myself up and I hope it doesn't sound arrogant, it's just the way it is, what I trained for years for. My nickname (so I've heard) is the ice-maiden as they can't get their own way by flirting with me.

So today, I'm prepared for a non too thrilling day.

There was to be a guest speaker, one to whom I have spoken but never met. He works out of the welsh main office.

He greeted me with the standard professional handshake and as he smiled - he looked me in the eyes and I felt nervous.

He is the same grade as me, not senior - no reason at all for this reaction.


He gave his talk, and every time he looked over, I hope I gave the cool professional smile that I reserve for guest speakers.

During the break, he came over to talk to me. In the next 5 minutes I knew his (professional) life story and a few of his hobbies. (We share one) I was almost interviewing him.

I was so darn nervous it is untrue.

The rest of the team went back through to the conference room, he was now leaving so as the regional manager was setting up his presentation, it was only courteous of me to do the formal "thank you and safe journey" part. I proffered my hand for the formal handshake, which he took in both of his, and held, enclosed, for a moment or 10 longer than the normal formal handshake. Nobody has ever done that to me in a professional scenario. I couldn't meet his gaze. Normally I am the queen of eyecontact, yet he held my gaze to the point I had to look down.

He left with a "goodbye lovely"

I was at work, and in work mode. This man had me feeling that I should be kneeling in front of him and waiting for instruction.

I wanted to be kneeling in front of him.

He is about 5'8", with a bit of a belly, and a goatee beard. Late 40s early 50s. Glasses, (doesn't wear them all the time) and tattoos.

So far opposite the type of man that physically attracts me it is untrue! He is however amazingly intelligent and fluent in 5 languages. Ex-special forces. Probably how he commanded my attention?

He is also working from the same building as me tomorrow (so are 1500 other people so I doubt I'll see him)

This does not happen to me at work.

Blimey!


Oh and no word from the Dutchman

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Risking getting caught at work to write this comment.........

Ask him out for a drink after work????

Do it do it do it....

You got Brass in your pocket girl!

BTW..... I like getting people into trouble!

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Damn, misread the bit about how many people are working in the same building....SIGH..... Why not be daring and seek HIM out?

I would.

I definitely would.

Well if I wasnt with Master I would...definitely...what do you have to loose?

Absolutely ZILCH....

I bet you dont check this until after you come home from work....

xxxx

The Real Bridget Jones said...

Nope, I checked it before!! (grins)

If I see him I may dig about for 'domestic' circumstances first. I know there is a daughter - don't know about a wife.....


Looking forward to going to work and it's a quarterly meeting where the standard joke is judged by how many espressos you need to stay awake for.

They'll wonder why I'm so perky

:)

Hugs n stuff
Bridget
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Always good to keep 'em on edge and make 'em "wonder".....

'specially if you are known as the "ice woman"

Creates intrigue.... and you HAVE to love that.

Gawd I hope you offer him some tukish delight (ok CS Lewis coming out here - butttttt)

Grins

rosie

stuff and hugs
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Ice-Maiden, I see. I generally cope OK with the sexually impervious femnocrat bit. Being myself:
'six-foot-nothing of muscle and bone
With my colt 45 I weigh 13 stone'
its a science being in the workplace. I'm close to the beautiful 22 yr-old girl at work who just broke up with her boyfriend. All the boys chase her but shes like a neice to me. Its her first job & I'm a middleaged graduate in an entry level job. Sweet huh?

& I recon go for it with the goateed commando too.

The Real Bridget Jones said...

(sighs)

He has a g/f

:(